ECN Wind Energy Facilities
Energieonderzoek Centrum Nederland (ECN) is the largest research institute in the area of energy in the Netherlands, and is also an important player internationally, in particular in the area of wind energy (wind measurements, advice).
With regard to wind energy, ECN focuses on substantially lowering the costs for in particular offshore wind energy, for example through improved turbine designs, more efficient maintenance and the application of knowledge about wind farm systems.
ECN Wind Energy Facilities B.V. (EWEF) is a 100% subsidiary of ECN and develops, constructs and manages test parks of wind turbines. Test parks offer the opportunity to carry out independent research on commercial, operational wind turbines, something that elsewhere is (almost) never allowed by wind farm owners.
Since 2003, EWEF has been managing the EWTW wind farm in the Wieringermeer. EWEF is currently developing the next phase of the EWTW project (EWTW II) and a new test location near Eemshaven in Groningen. EWTW I has proven that the combination of commercial research turbines and prototypes is a good one, and EWEF would like to continue that success.
The new project, EWTW II, will ultimately comprise:
- 8 commercial research turbines
- 9 locations for wind turbine prototypes
- a 20kV-substation to be newly constructed
- 10kV and 20kV mid voltage cable strands and optic fibre connections to the wind turbines
- wind measurement masts and electric testing facilities near the wind turbines
- a new research and development program for the commercial research turbines
EWEF has hired Ventolines for the coordination of the contracting and financing of EWTW II and for substantial support in the field of electric works, turbines and the business case.